Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Daily Devotion for June 20, 2006

Passion Parenting
 
“Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them.” Exodus 25:8
 
I am a parent. I try to be as much a part of my four children’s lives as I can.  This is whether or not they want me to be. Sometimes we as parents must bear the unpleasant burden of putting ourselves in the lives of our children for their own good. We as parents know what is best for them. It is our responsibility to them and to God to give our children all of the tools that they will need to be a success in the world. I am not talking about giving them huge allowances and new cars. I am talking about giving them love, a safe place to live, and a strong foundation in Christ. We need to be passionate about being parents.
 
 God is a passionate parent, too. He has great plans for us if only we will listen to him and obey him. But we as children always have different ideas about how to live our lives; and we always know what is best for us whether we are thirteen or thirty. Sound familiar?
 
Moses had an incredible life. From a baby born to a Hebrew slave family, he rose to be the liberator and leader of the Israeli people. Not too shabby! But he was not willing to charge off and do this without some ‘parental coaching’; he needed the support of the ultimate passionate parent, God. But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain (Exodus 3:11-12).” Without God, Moses would never have accomplished what he did.
 
I have a daughter who is a sophomore at a Christian college, a son who is a senior, a daughter who is a sophomore, and a son in sixth grade.  They are all different and unique.  I am proud of all of them because I know that their journeys have not been easy. Their mother and I have laughed, cried, rejoiced, and worried as they have grown from babies to young adults. Hopefully, being a passionate parent will have taught them to make their lives a sanctuary for God, so that He may dwell among them.
 
Prayer
Father, I pray that you instill in me a passion to be a parent; that you will give me the guidance and leadership to teach my children as you have taught me. God, help me to love them no matter what they might do, just as you love me. Amen.
 

 Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home