Monday, June 12, 2006

Daily Devotion for June 12, 2006

Life is not Fair
 
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.     Isaiah 53: 5
 
Having spent several years working with Junior High youth, I used to hear them frequently complain about things not being fair. It could be about a test, a boyfriend or girlfriend, sports, ect. I quickly learned “JH Speak”—the secret language of this age group. For example, “nobody” means “my friends”. (Nobody wears his or her hair like that!) However, “everybody” also means “my friends”. (Everybody does it!) In this language, “fair” means, “I’m getting my way!” And if something is “not fair” it always means that the speaker is being cheated of something they feel they deserve.
 
 This verse reminds me of “fair”. It’s not fair that Jesus suffered so I would not have to suffer. It’s not fair that his beatings produce my peace. It isn’t fair that his injury yields my healing. It’s not fair. But that’s the kind of God I serve. He’s the God of grace, mercy, and love. A God who demands justice then pays the debt that I so much deserve. And I take it for granted. Now that’s not fair!
 
Prayer
Jesus, many times I have no clue what you have done for me and continue to do for me. Forgive my casual attitude toward your love, your sacrifice and your holiness. Holy Spirit, prod me to prayers of thanks and praise. Amen.
 

 Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home