Monday, November 13, 2006

Daily Devotion for November 13, 2006

Precious Memories
 
I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. Philemon 4+5
 
A lady recently shared with me how one of her children , Kristelle, was involved in a project at the local Nursing Home called Memories in which the lives of five senior citizens were recorded for posterity. She shared how it was a wonderful experience for both young and old as the past came alive for the youth and the seniors saw into the world of today through the eyes of young people they came to love.
 
In Philemon we hear another of the recurring themes of scripture - the importance and place of memories. The bible is our "memory book", not as in the sense of rote memorization, but as containing the memory of the people of God and their encounter with the God of heaven and earth. And the memories transport us back through the years and touch upon the lives of many hundreds who encountered God in daily living.
 
Paul simply says: "When I remember you... I always thank my God."
 
I too have such memories, especially of people who have molded me and made me what I am today, both for good and ill.
 
Prayer
Lord, I thank you for my memories. I thank you that they are of grandparents who passed on the folklore of the family, and parents who made me appreciate the past, and preachers who proclaimed the word of God, and teachers, both sacred and secular, who demonstrated that the past is not dead but alive and vibrant. Bless our memories and help us to live in the promises they pass on, especially those that remind us to be faithful to you. Amen.
 
Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Want to learn more about the Bible Jesus used – The Old Testament – and the Bible Jesus taught?  Enroll today in Word Among Us – Cover to Cover study of the Bible starting in Genesis and going through Revelation including the inter - testamental period, using history and archeology and Biblical culture to make the text alive - taught by Tim Hetzner.
Class sites are across the USA. Click here for more information.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home