Friday, October 14, 2005

Daily Devotion for October 14, 2005

A Short Tale Of Two Solitudes
 
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you - you of little faith? Matthew 6:28-30
 
Two worlds are represented in my life at this moment. They are as different as night and day.
 
I took a moment today to talk and share with a dear, dear friend.  I told him that I had felt like I had come to the end of my rope. I had just spent the last 40 plus days’ working 12-18 hr days with the Katrina relief efforts that LCC is heading up.  I wasn’t sure when there would be light at the end of the tunnel for some time away – at least before Christmas. 
 
He looked at me and quietly said he hadn't had an hour of meaningful work that entire week and then asked which of us I'd rather be?
 
I didn't need to answer but I have two prayers. The first is for those who feel they are run off their feet. The second is for those who have been out of work for a long time.
 
Prayer
Lord, lead me to a path of still water where I might quench my thirst for a quiet moment and then simply have time to be still.
 
God, grant me meaningful work to do, a joy in living life to the full, and a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, whatever the day may bring.
 
Both prayers I offer in the name of Jesus Christ who is my way, my truth, and my life. Amen.
 

Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Want to learn more about the Bible Jesus used – The Old Testament – and the Bible Jesus taught?  Enroll today in Word Among Us – Cover to Cover study of the Bible starting in Genesis and going through Revelation including the inter - testamental period, using history and archeology and Biblical culture to make the text alive - taught by Tim Hetzner.
Class sites are across the USA. Click here for more information.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home