Thursday, October 06, 2005

October 6, 2005

Good For Nothing
 
Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the dominion of heaven.  Matthew 5:20
 
I guess I really don't want to hear that I am supposed to be perfect, yet there is a theme throughout scriptures that points us toward perfection:
 
Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48
 
Now I like the way the New English Bible puts this passage from Matthew:
 
"There must be no limit to your goodness, as your heavenly Father's goodness knows no bounds."
 
There have been things in my life that I have just never been able to reach, to attain, to live up to. As I was growing up it was the reputation of my "big sister Ann". Every teacher in grade school held her presence. "Are you like your sister Ann?" was the first question teachers always asked, as she was the “smart” one!
 
Can you be as good as Ann? Can you be better? And then I married Jackie and it began all over again. God preserve us from all such vain comparisons! Yet here is the Bible and here is our Lord doing something not all that different. Can you be as good as the scribes? Can your righteousness exceed that of the Pharisees (who made a point by the way, of observing all 613 regulations in the Law of Moses)? And we're supposed to be as good as them, no... better than them? Ha!
 
Only in the grace of my Lord Jesus Christ can I find the strength to live a life of love.  And according to Jesus, that was the fulfillment of the law!
 
Prayer
Loving Lord, help me this day to be all that I can be and in your mercy, let me follow the more excellent way through Christ my Lord, to love as you did.  Amen.
 

Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Want to learn more about the Bible Jesus used – The Old Testament – and the Bible Jesus taught?  Enroll today in Word Among Us – Cover to Cover study of the Bible starting in Genesis and going through Revelation including the inter - testamental period, using history and archeology and Biblical culture to make the text alive - taught by Tim Hetzner.
Class sites are across the USA. Click here for more information.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home