Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Daily Devotion for February 15, 2006

In Christ there is …
 
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.    Galatians 3:28
 
Several years ago I was on a train into Chicago; I had been selected for Jury duty.  Not thrilled that I had to do this, I decided to make the best of it and use the time to catch up on reading and maybe do some preparation for the Bible Study I was teaching. The train was crowded and I was sharing the row with a complete stranger, an older black gentleman. As well-trained and polite travelers should, we acknowledged each other's presence with a brief "Is this seat taken?" and "May I sit here?" and then studiously minded our own business. After a while, having tired of reading the latest series of income tax regulations and new tax planning schemes, I decided it was time to work on the Sunday School lesson I was to teach and had yet to prepare.
 
I had just opened my Bible when my neighbor stirred and started asking me a series of unsolicited questions: What study Bible did I use? Did I teach from the NIV, and which study version -- Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran etc.? I was quite taken back at this sudden violation of traveler’s etiquette by someone who had been so diligently observing it up until now. At first I answered briefly, but politely, hoping to end the conversation and get back to my reading. However, as the interrogation wore on, it became more and more a two way conversation. We moved from Bible versions to other matters: New Testament versus Old Testament, favorite hymns, the importance of an organ versus a strong choir, and the need for children to be well grounded in Scripture. We talked about matters of family, hobbies and exercise. The rest of what had initially promised to be the typically tedious train ride passed rapidly. We ended the trip trading favorite Bible verses and attracting the surprised stares of surrounding passengers as we both exuberantly quoted Micah 6:8: "And what does the Lord require of thee? But to do justice, to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God."
 
It was in the stares of the fellow passengers, wondering what these two so obviously different people could have in common and could find so interesting, that I realized what the true meaning of our conversation was. Here was Christ in action, uniting two strangers, overcoming the barriers of race, age and economic status that we have erected over time to separate ourselves from one another. Despite all these supposedly profound differences, we shared the same faith and belief as Christians and that was more than enough to bring us together. Since then, I have had this same experience repeated in restaurants, courtesy vans and other unexpected places. Each time, Christ has served to create a bond with strangers, with whom; superficially, I should have nothing in common. Yet, each time, I found that in sharing the same faith, hope and values, we had far more in common than with those that society would tell us are our own class or race. Just as two thousand years ago Christ broke down the barriers between Jew and Gentile and fulfilled prophecy by bringing God's word to all nations, he continues to do so today, if only we will open our hearts and minds and respond when he speaks to us.
 
Prayer
Gracious Lord, let your Spirit reside in our hearts and open our eyes and ears so that we may recognize our sisters and brothers in Christ, whoever and wherever they be. Amen.
 

Did someone send you this Devotion? Would you like to receive future ones directly? Click here to subscribe.

Tim Hetzner - President - Lutheran Church Charities
333 W. Lake Street, Addison, Illinois 60101
(866) 455-6466 • Fax: (866) 451-1476
Web Site: lcc.LutheranChurchCharities.org
E-Mail: TimHetzner@LutheranChurchCharities.org

At the end of the day. . . Making A Difference
In People's Lives and In God's Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home